On 2014-03-09, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> On 2014-03-09 16:09, n...@vorpus.org wrote:
>> I definitely want to hear your feedback.
> I completely agree with John Cremona: please keep * for matrix
> multiplication. Why not add a new dedicated operator for elementwise
> multiplication and use * for matrix multiplication?
>
> In your PEP, you say that using * for matrix multiplication is a bad
> idea, but without any justification (the only justification is
> variations on "it's a bad idea" without reasons).

In fact the PEP has a justification along the lines that elementwise
matrix multiplication and scalar multiplication pops up 4 times more
often in numpy code. But I doubt that the count was made correctly.
Even if it was the case, still this would be truly horrible idea to use *
for entrywise matrix multiplication...

I've posted a comment here:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4351#issuecomment-37135112

Dima