Jan Groenewald wrote:
I'd like to update the Ubuntu PPA sagemath-upstream-binary dependencies.
Currently they are very outdated.

Depends: libssl0.9.8, build-essential, gfortran, libgfortran3,
openssh-client, imagemagick, ffmpeg, dvipng, texlive, texlive-pictures,
icedtea-7-plugin | icedtea-plugin

That can be replaced with

Depends:
Recommends:
Suggests:

Depends: build-essential, gfortran [probably also m4]

(gfortran already depends on libgfortran3.)

and, depending on one's taste:

Recommends: openssh-client, imagemagick, ffmpeg

Suggests: dvipng, texlive, texlive-pictures, icedtea-7-plugin | icedtea-plugin

(Note that openssh-client already depends on OpenSSL. We could still require it, but then I'd use libssl-dev.)

Perhaps move the icedtea-plugin to "Recommended".

Don't know what else we could /add/ (that isn't already contained in the Sage binary).

Probably suggest or recommend (a system-wide) git[-core].

In the future, I'd also require libreadline-dev, but unfortunately currently Sage doesn't even try to use a system-wide one (instead of its meanwhile outdated version 6.2, asking for trouble at least on other distros like Arch Linux and OpenSuSE).

-leif

Where Depends is strict, to even start the program, while Recommends is
for all but outlier cases, e.g. a lot of functionality could be broken,
all usual installations come with those, and Suggests is for what many
people would use with it.

Can I simply move everything to Recommends: and update e.g. the ssl
version.
Advice?

Regards,
Jan