Dear Sage developers,

Here is an update on the progress on #10963.

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 09:56:51PM -0700, Nils Bruin wrote:
>    On Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:38:35 PM UTC-7, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
>      This isn't about
>      correctness or performance or sufficient testing, it's a question of
>      aesthetics, right?
>
>    There are performance issues actually, but probably ones that can be dealt
>    with as long as we make sure that the number of possible categories is
>    uniformly bounded and relatively small. Otherwise, #10963 produces a
>    rather bad memory leak. Giiven that currently we have categories
>    parametrized by base ring, there is such a leak. Even when the design
>    decisions are settled (or at least preliminarily agreed upon) there is
>    more performance/memory use testing to be done.

- About this issue: I implemented in #15801 our plan of allowing
  categories like ``Modules`` to be parametrized by the category of
  the base ring instead of the base ring. From the benchmarks, it
  seems to hold water and fixes all the performance issues made worse
  by #10963. It's in needs review.

- About the syntax: Sage Days 57 was the occasion to discuss with
  Volker. At the end of the day we still have a difference of taste on
  the best syntax for implementing an axiom for a given category;
  however Volker agreed that the current syntax has the advantage of
  being implemented. So even though he would not endorse it himself,
  he would not veto it either if some other reviewer(s) would accept
  it.

- Tests: up to double checking with the latest develop version, all
  long tests pass.

- Dependencies: there remains a small one, namely #15919, for which I
  proposed a possible solution which needs review.

- Documentation review: Darij has made a great job, and it is
  basically finished.

- Technical review: someone needs to review the changes made in the
  last month(s). I can gather a list of commits if useful.

Cheers,
                                Nicolas
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/