On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Vincent Knight <knigh...@cf.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am attempting to follow the developer guidelines and after applying for a
> trac server account it is recommended to email this list with some details
> of what I hope to do before opening a ticket.
>
> If it sounds like a good idea I'd like to open tickets with an aim to
> develop some Game Theoretic capabilities in to Sage. Loosely this would
> include the following:
>
> - A general class for a general game object,
> - Classes for cooperative games,
> - Class for matching games
> - Classes for normal form games,
>
> Most of this is relatively simple to do however methods to solve normal form
> games would require new algorithms to be written and/or and adaption of the
> lrs package (http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~avis/C/lrs.html) (that I understand
> 'lives' in Sage already somewhere...)
>
> I (think I) understand that I would need to open multiple tickets for this
> and suggest opening 3 tickets (one for each of the types of game so far).
>
> I have obtained funding to have a talented undergraduate student (proficient
> with Python, Sage, git and starting to learn Cython as well as various other
> tools) work with me on this over the summer. Proposal available here:
> http://goo.gl/4ck47Q
>
> As a result of this I am thinking about potentially taking the student to
> present at a national UK conference where we would showcase not only the
> Game Theory code but also Sage as a research tool.
>
> In the future this could/would hopefully lead to more types of game
> theoretic models being added.
>
> I'm not sure if this was the type of email I was expected to write but
> hopefully everyone thinks this is an ok idea as I am impatient to be able to
> call myself a contributor to Sage :)
>
> I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts.

Something called "gambit" comes up a lot upon searching for "game
theory" and python on
google.  Gambit seems to have a mature Python library interface, in
version 14, and Gambit seems to have been around since 1994 (?).
The first slogan
of Sage has always been "building the car instead of reinventing the
wheel".  I would have guessed that you know all about Gambit and why totally
ignoring it for Sage is the way to go, but you say: "You might also
want to check out 'Gambit' which I've never used." at

  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4901549/nash-equilibrium-in-python

so ... maybe it would be worth you checking out Gambit first?

Sorry if this wasn't very helpful regarding your actual questions.
Caveat: I've never used Gambit either!

 -- William

> Best wishes,
> Vince