On Monday, May 5, 2014 3:53:17 PM UTC-7, leif wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:14:50 AM UTC+2, William wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anybody know how much RAM is required to build Sage these days.
>>  With MAKE not set, typing "make" with sage-6.2.rc2 on a VM with 4GB
>> RAM results in failure (see below).  Of course, I'm not using swap,
>> and of course with swap you can do anything if you're willing to wait.
>>  That said, it would be very useful to have some sort of statement
>> about required RAM, like we now have for disk space: "Make sure you
>> have the dependencies and 5 GB of free disk space."
>>
>> [reference] build succeeded.
>> Build finished. The built documents can be found in
>> /usr/local/sage/sage-6.2.rc2
>> /src/doc/output/html/en/reference
>> Error building the documentation.
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>
> <SNIP>
>
>>     self.pid = os.fork()
>> OSError: [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory
>> make: *** [doc-html] Error 1
>>
>> real    233m9.925s
>> user    197m29.292s
>> sys     22m18.145s
>> salvus@salvus-base:/usr/local/sage/sage-6.2.rc2$ echo $MAKE
>>

> Retry that with SAGE_NUM_THREADS={1,2} ?
>
> 2 GB should IMHO be sufficient to build the docs (with 1 thread);  testing
> is another issue because of a few still greedy tests...
>

> -leif
>
> P.S.:  If you haven't set MAKE, Sage "guesses" the number of threads to
> use to build the Sage library as well as the docs, AFAIK.

Right: Sage uses SAGE_NUM_THREADS to decide how many threads to use for
building spkgs and docs. If it's set to a number, that value gets used.
Otherwise, SAGE_NUM_THREADS gets set in src/bin/sage-env, using the Python
program src/bin/sage-num-threads.py:

    sage_num_threads_array=(`sage-num-threads.py 2>/dev/null || echo 1 2 1`)
    SAGE_NUM_THREADS=${sage_num_threads_array[0]}

This is documented in the installation manual, but maybe it should also be
in the top-level README.txt.

--
John