David Loeffler wrote:
It's happened a few times that people have put tests in the sage/tests
directory which explicitly require that certain inputs return
NotImplementedError, or something similar. Surely we shouldn't have to
go through the rigmarole of contacting the original author and waiting
a year in order to add a previously un-implemented feature?

I'd say that, alongside the policy of not changing the output of tests
in sage/tests without a year's deprecation period and consultation
with the original author, we should have a parallel policy that all
tests added to sage/tests should be "forward-compatible", in the sense
that they shouldn't be broken by the addition of reasonably
foreseeable new features to Sage.

Well, the point is that (useful!) *examples* from published books should work for a reasonable amount of time.

I don't think a reader will be upset if Sage suddenly implements something which didn't work to the time a book was published; we should still notify the authors in such cases though.

-leif

--
() The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
/\   Help Cure HTML E-Mail