On 12 May 2014 16:58, "John Cremona" <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sure that rtf did not mean to provide the physical machine, just the
information about the machine (hardware and os, say)!

> John
..k
"(Provide to whom? )"

> On 12 May 2014 16:51, Dr. David Kirkby <drkir...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 10 May 2014 17:37, "rjf" <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > It seems to me that the "reproducibility" should be with respect to
the same conditions as the original publication.  That is, someone who
says  "I'm telling the truth because yada yada Sage version  x.y.z on
machine q.p....  should provide not only the commands, but version x.y.z
and machine q.p on which it was run.  (Provide to whom? )

>> IF I am understanding you correctly,  that would be extreamly unusual
and inappropriate.  I admit that I may have may have misunderstood you.

>> I believe that you are saying to allow others to verify the results you
need to supply both the source code and computer hardware to others.

>> Why should research with Sage be l performed in a way different from how
research in any research area I can think of? I have worked on medical
physics,  RF engineering,  optics and never worked that way and only seen a
limited subset of it.

>> It would be economically impossible to do this. How much money would you
need to put into a research grant application if one of the objectives was
to provide computer hardware to one or more people that might want it?

>> The nearest I have seen to this sort of thing is where a research group
measures something (the device under test or DUT)  then passes the DUT to
other research groups who measure the same DUT. When all groups taking part
of the study have measured the DUT using different equipment in different
laboratories with different people,  the results are compared.

>> It is just not practical to distribute the same computer hardware,  and
in any case it might cause inaccurate conclusions to be reached. Remember
the Pentium bug, where an Intel CPU gave an error computing certain
floating point operations?

>> Making the source code available is both practical and useful,
especially if it can be compiled on multiple hardware platforms with
different compilers.  That would reduce the chances of erroneous results
from CPU bugs, or similar.