On Sunday, June 15, 2014 10:59:57 PM UTC+1, leif wrote:

> > * Git-aware: use SHA1 hashes instead of timestamps for dependency
> > calculations
>
> ?  Hashs of what exactly?  Modification / installation time of course
> matters...

No, modification times precisely does not matter. Git does not record
timestamps, and switching branches therefore causes needless recompilation
even if you switch back to your the branch!

> Not sure what "hard" dependencies are supposed to mean -- above you talk
> about hard/soft *runtime* dependencies, while at least some of the
> "hard" dependencies listed above are definitely *build* time
> dependencies (Python, freetype, libpng...).

Runtime dependencies are of course required to build. But not the other way
round, you don't need to recompile everything because you updated "patch".

What about versions in dependencies (i.e., prerequisites)?

The version is whatever version is in Sage

(Patch level) version of the Sage package / YAML file?

There is no need for patch levels. The dependency computation uses the SHA1
of the git tree object that holds the package dir as the true version. The
tarball version is just for the UI.

> I'd also add a couple of things from SPKG.txt:

Yes, but that can wait for a followup.

 >      shell               IPython shell

:-)  Another (useless?) dependency?

Not a dependency, just an optional command line interface if IPython is
installed in the OS Python.

Hmmm, 'pkg-upgrade-v1'?

Debug, ignore.

Do we / can we keep package info files for various versions?

There is always "git checkout"