Hi Volker,

I was also pointed to this thread. Aron answered pretty much
everything, so just a few comments:

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the record, Sage build a lot slower to build if you build packages one
> after the other.
>
> So hashdist packages can sort of change how they are built by inheriting
> ("extends:"). But can we override / extend:
> * source download (to use the Sage mirror network)

Yes. You just modify the url field to your own mirror. Assuming you
didn't modify the tarball,
you don't need to modify the hash. If you modified the tarball, then
you need to update the hash.

> * the hash computation for the source?

There is hash computation to verify the tarball, e.g.:

sources:
  - url: http://archive.ipython.org/release/2.0.0/ipython-2.0.0.tar.gz
    key: tar.gz:j2b4bd4nn7iorbemnd6a5mxzwbkptn2c

But the hash that comes into the build is computed from a json input
script, that contains
this source "key", then the script that builds the package, then any
dependencies etc.

> What if I want to install
> files/directories directly from the repository?

Could you clarify this question a bit? I am not sure what exactly you
are asking.

> Is there a way to skip the Nix versioned directories stuff and instead just
> install directly into the destination tree? Because thats what we do now,

So we create a profile from these versioned directories, which you can
view as a destination tree.
They contain hardlinks into versioned directories. You use the
destination tree just like a Sage tree.

> and changing the build system and 50 package build scripts at the same time
> is not really feasible.

We plan to eventually port packages that Sage uses. We've already
ported quite a few relevant packages,
e.g.:

https://github.com/hashdist/hashstack/blob/master/pkgs/linbox.yaml
https://github.com/hashdist/hashstack/blob/master/pkgs/ntl.yaml
https://github.com/hashdist/hashstack/blob/master/pkgs/flint.yaml

and more will come in the future. Essentially anyone can just send a PR:

https://github.com/hashdist/hashstack/pulls

Ondrej

P.S. We now also have a more fancy web page: https://hashdist.github.io/