On Saturday, July 19, 2014 5:43:57 AM UTC-7, defeo wrote:

> However, Julia multimethods are backed up by a powerful coercion
> system, so I do not understand the "step back" criticism.
>
> That comment wasn't made with respect to Julia, because that would be
comparing the coercion facilities of a CAS to those of a programming
language. Coercion in a CAS tends to be a *lot* more complicated than what
programming languages are designed for. As an example:

Consider A+B where A is a polynomial in ZZ[x,y] and B is a power series in
F_q[[x]] (finite field with q elements).

Do you expect your CAS to make sense of that addition? Sage does. It
returns an answer in F_q[[x]][y] (i.e., a polynomial in y over power series
in x over F_q) . You can argue whether it's desirable for a system to try
to be that smart, but all computer algebra systems I know are a "step back"
relative to this. Programming languages do not tend to have type models
that would even allow you to try and make sense of this kind of question.