Hey Jori,
   The short version why is_lattice is in the category is that *every*
finite poset can check if is a lattice (if it has implementations to check
if it's a join and meet semilattice). In fact, I would argue that there are
many methods of the current implementation of FinitePoset (with no 's',
i.e., not the category) that could be moved into the category because all
objects of the category of finite posets should have them.
   Now why is_distributive_lattice only a part of the Hasse diagram, I'm
not quite sure. The antichains in the category is an abstract method (note
the decorator for the method).

In my experience, most people read the documentation in Sage using `?`
rather than the reference manual. So it's not a matter of where the method
is defined (you can think of the category like an ABC in this case).

Best,
Travis