On 2014-08-25, Francesco Biscani <bluesca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> --089e013c6576f2ddd4050175975f
>
> On 25 August 2014 16:28, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> apparently it's better, but it's only supported on certain more
>> expensive versions of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008.
>>
>> to quote:
>>
>> Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2008 R2; Windows 7 Enterprise;
>> Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit edition; Windows 7 Ultimate; Windows 7 Ultimate
>> 64-bit edition;
>

> Ah bummer... I wonder if the version check is strict or if it can be worked
> around somehow.
good luck doing this - you will need to provide a hack that does this
to be distributed with Sage :)

As well, SUA is deprecated in Windows 8, and won't be
supported beyond Windows 8.

> Seems like at some point Debian had an Interix port:
>
> http://www.debian-interix.net/
>
> (As a side question, what versions of Windows are commonly found on
> desktops/laptops these days? Are people switching over to Windows 8?)

some time ago retailers offered a choice of Windows 7 or 8, but I
guess this will stop sooner of later.
Anyhow, I've never seen a retailer offering a windows edition
other than Home or Pro.

> There's quite a bit of material on how to write a replacement of fork()
> using the Windows API. See, e.g.,
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/985281/what-is-the-closest-thing-windows-has-to-fork/985525#985525
> http://doxygen.scilab.org/5.3/d0/d8f/forkWindows_8c_source.html#l00216
>
> And it seems MinGW has the prototype for fork(), although not the
> implementation:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9612315/why-does-my-compiler-not-accept-fork-despite-my-inclusion-of-unistd-h
>
> Even if the implementation is not 100% conforming, it would probably be
> adequate for some purposes. Is the lack of fork() the biggest showstopper
> or just one of many roadblocks? I would imagine a lot of external
> components included in sage are not written with platform independence in
> mind (but IMO this would rather be an argument to work with upstream to
> rectify the issue instead of working around it).

GAP uses fork, mmap, and ioctl - none of which are supported by MinGW/MSYS.
Dunno about PARI and Singular.'