On 25 Aug 2014 12:44, "Jeroen Demeyer" <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:

> I think Sage-on-Cygwin is fay more realistic than a pure native (even
stripped down) version of Sage. I you care about Windows, concentrate your
efforts on the Cygwin port.

Why has so much time been spent on it, without success?

William wrote in 2007 Sage would probably never be built on Cygwin

http://markmail.org/message/fapx25o3kqipdeg2

Then in 2010 described how he got it to build

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/sage-windows/ygK1kJm9p9w

and while I can't find the post,  I think William later expressed some
doubt whether it would ever work properly.

I am on my mobile phone now,  so not too easy to browse the web, but I
pretty sure that the Cygwin port was due to be finished before the Solaris
port.

Maybe there's a case for a fresh start with more modest aims and a cleaner
interface.

Dave