Hi Peter,

On 27.08.2014 14:01, Peter Bruin wrote:
Hi Jonas,

What if there is no coercion in either direction?
E.g. (base_ring, cusp forms ring)

Maybe #16507 would make this work too if the CuspForms construction were
implemented as a composition: ModularForms followed by CuspidalSubspace,
where CuspidalSubspace would be a special case of SubspaceFunctor (i.e.
with coercion_reversed=True in the terminology of #16507)?  Then
pushout() would remove the application of CuspidalSubspace when merging
the two constructions.

I still don't see how you would distinguish the base ring from a "normal" ring.

Also, how would a base change work with your modification?
pushout(RR, CuspidalSubSpace(ModularForms(ZZ))) resp.
pushout(Base(RR), CuspidalSubSpace(ModularForms(Base(ZZ)))) or

If I understood it would do:

ZZ -> ... ->  RR -> ModularForms(RR) (and stop) resp.
Base(ZZ) -> ... ->  Base(RR) -> ModularForms(Base(RR)) (and stop)

But instead it should return CuspidalSubSpace(ModularForms(RR)).

What I mean is that in some cases the pushout construction should do
"almost" the same as the construction itself but with
coercion reversion the behavior would be completely different
(since the "construction process" stops early).

But maybe I missunderstood or this can still be solved in
some smart way...

I should also mention that in my case I have a whole bunch of
"subspace constructions":

cuspidal, holomorphic, weakly holomorphic, meromorphic
Additional in each case modular or quasi modular and additional
subspaces of the ambient spaces...

In my case I used the above analytic properties as a parameter of the
functor and let "merge" decide how to merge the analytic properties...

Best
    Jonas