Hi Jonas,

> I just realized that my example was maybe a bad one.  But imagine the
> same example for a space where the base ring _does_ coerce into the
> space. A base-changed base ring would then not coerce, so the pushout
> construction would be used and it would return the wrong space,
> resp. my arguments would make more sense there, no?

Do you mean something like the following?  Assume you have a
construction EvenSubspace() that applies to spaces of polynomials and
returns the subspace of all polynomials that only have even powers of x.
This of course includes constants.  Suppose you have a ring homomorphism
A -> B and you want to do

pushout(B, EvenSubspace(PolynomialRing(A, 'x')))

I guess my approach would indeed eliminate the application of
EvenSubspace() because it doesn't know that B still coerces into
EvenSubspace(PolynomialRing(B, 'x')).  If this is the case, the
criterion for eliminating a "coercion-reversed" construction step F
probably needs to be made more strict: if both of the original objects
still coerce into the result of applying F, then we do want to apply F.
Does that sound reasonable?

Peter