Hi,

Let me clarify a few things:
- LinBox's approach to link against numerical BLAS has never changed, and
probably will not in the
near future.
- LAPACK is not BLAS: BLAS provides optimized numerical matrix multiplication
kernels (that LinBox
uses) and other basic routines, whereas LAPACK provides more advanced routines
such as gaussian
elimination, QR factorization, etc, designed to work on top of a BLAS.
- LinBox links against LAPACK too (in the past and still now), but only for
some variants of
computations that are AFAIK, not hooked in the sage interface: e.g. computing
first invariant of the
Smith form.

I also recently remarked that many linalg computations over finite fields and
ZZ were shamefully
slow. There definitely is a misconfiguration somewhere, as we do not observe
any such regression in
LinBox. Instead, the library has gotten actually significantly faster.

So in the short term: I'm definitely willing to look into improving the sage
interface, and fix this
misconfiguration. I'll have very little time before the end of september,
though, but can start
working on it in october.

We're also planning on cutting a new release of Linbox this fall (october) an
this could be a good
time to update the linbox spkg.

I also would like to mention that sage rely on Atlas BLAS which is no longer
state of the art as far
as computation speed is concerned.
We consider switching to OpenBLAS, (formerely GOTOBLAS), that is now released
under BSD.

http://www.openblas.net/

The compile & configuration times are much shorter which would impact sage
compile time.

Best
Clément

Le 29/08/2014 10:26, William A Stein a écrit :
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Jean-Pierre Flori <jpfl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know for sure, but I think linbox does not link to LAPACK
>> (anymore?).
>> Maybe that make a small difference already.
> That's precisely what I'm worried about -- not linking lapack would
> perhaps  change linbox from being world class to absolutely terrible.
>
>> I opened a ticket about that some monthes ago.
> Thanks!
>
>> --

       Clément Pernet

Lab. de l'Informatique Parallélisme, AriC             office LUG 277
ENS de Lyon, CNRS                          tel: +33 (0)4 37 28 74 75
46 Allée d'Italie                          fax: +33 (0)4 72 72 80 80
69364 LYON Cedex 07- France     http://membres-liglab.imag.fr/pernet
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xAF8B61347AE8C23D