I don't have any direct experience with EU funding, but I did work at a
European-level institution (ESA) for a few years and I must say that what
Bill says rings true to my ears. You have to understand that anything
"European" is really undertaken by a patchwork of different nations pulling
towards different directions and often competing with each other. ESA for
instance has a policy of "geographic return" that regulates many aspects of
the activity of the agency, from hiring to funding:

http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Industry/Industry_how_to_do_business/Industrial_policy_and_geographical_distribution

Any type of interaction with non-European entities is very complicated, to
the point, e.g., of requiring special permission from upper management to
hire unpaid interns from outside Europe. Going to conferences outside
Europe is very difficult. When we started SOCIS some years ago,

http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis/

I remember going through numerous meetings in which we had to came up with
a way to make the project "European", whereas our first impulse was to just
let it open to any student in the world. In the end we found a compromise
in the requirement that any participating student needs to be enrolled in a
European University.

I have no difficulties believing the EU operates under similar constraints.