On Saturday, 30 August 2014 00:35:01 UTC+2, Robert Bradshaw wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 5:03 AM, Bill Hart <goodwi...@googlemail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> >
> > On Friday, 29 August 2014 13:17:40 UTC+2, Volker Braun wrote:
> >>
> >> First of all, it always saddens me when the ugly head of nationalism
> rears
> >> its head. I thought the time where we only support German science were
> >> over...
>
> +1
>
> > You have misunderstood. When applying for German funding, the rules will
> > naturally state that the project must benefit the people paying for the
> > work, namely German companies and Mutter und Vater taxpayer.
> >
> > When applying for European funding, the rules will naturally state that
> the
> > funding must benefit the people paying for the work, namely the European
> > Union members.
>
> I would say that the beneficiaries are (1) those funded to do the work
> and (2) all users of the work. It's not like the money would go to the
> US or even "the project."

Then the grant would be rejected.

> > The idea that European funds should be used primarily to support an
> > international project *with no direct benefit to European projects*
> invoked
> > in the grant is patently a non-starter. That's just as bad, in my
> opinion,
> > as taking public funds to work on a closed source mathematical system!
>
> You're a big fan of Julia. However, would you argue that European
> funds should not be used to support it because it's not a "European
> Project?"

Yes.

> I'd say the criteria would be whether Europeans benefit from
> Julia (and I one could argue from a protectionist economic perspective
> whether Europeans are the ones being paid to do the work, though I'd
> just rather pay the best available person).
>
> Sadly, if the people judging these grants have this perspective, one
> might have to sell efforts like "sage-combinat" as a "European
> project" rather than part of Sage.

Yes.

> I, personally, don't see Sage as belonging to Europeans, it belongs to
> Mathematicians.
>
> > One of the biggest things European software projects like Pari, Gap,
> Singular need is contributions. I congratulate Peter Bruin on announcing
> that he is writing a power series module for Sage based on Pari instead of
> on polynomials. However, in a project like that, I hope that when some
> functionality (mathematical or otherwise) is perceived to be missing from
> Pari, that it will be contributed *to the Pari project directly*. And I
> don't mean as a set of Sage build patches or bug reports. I mean as a set
> of Pari contributions, to their code base, in their coding style, instead
> of writing more code in Sage directly!
>
> I strongly disagree that the best (or only) way to contribute to Sage
> is to contribute to some of its component projects,

I didn't say it was.

> and writing more
> code in Sage directly should be discouraged. Sage is *much* more than
> just glue,

I didn't say that.

> which is the perspective you seem to be coming from. That's
> not to discount the enormous value these projects add to Sage (and it
> often makes little sense to re-implement existing code) but taking the
> attitude that all new work should be done in sub-projects and wrapped
> by Sage is not the best approach, or in my opinion the best way to
> make a good product.

I didn't say that.

> Here's some disadvantages of contributing the code directly to X as
> opposed to Sage:
>
>    * It narrows the pool of potential contributors.
>    * It may not be the best choice of language for a high level
> algorithm. (Many of these projects were started before high(er) level
> languages were even an option.)
>    * Languages, style, conventions (e.g. Pari memory management),
> development procedures, etc. are not transferable to working on
> sub-product Y or Z or Sage itself.
>    * It's harder to find and read the source (unless we make the
> command-line ?? somehow descend into C libraries), but even then
> there's probably more indirection.
>    * It makes it more difficult to integrate with other systems. E.g.
> if you find yourself needing an algorithm that's in Y but not in X you
> can't use it.
>    * It requires the additional step of writing and maintaining
> wrappers for use in Sage. It's also a two (or more) step process to
> get the code in X and start using it in Sage (possibly along with Y or
> Z).

No wonder the libraries aren't getting contributions.

> I'm not passing judgement on this particular patch, nor saying we
> shouldn't contribute to sub projects like Pari where it makes sense
> (especially bug fixes), but there are significant drawbacks as well.
>
> I'm also not saying that everything should be implemented in Sage
> directly. There are things where it makes much more sense to provide a
> low-level library, in particular functionality with a well-defined
> purpose and API (e.g. linear algebra, arbitrary precision integers,
> ...).
>
> But if Sage aims to be a system useful for doing mathematics teaching
> and research, and has any advantage over using one of the subsystems
> alone, the same advantage would carry over when implementing new
> functionality.
>
> > Why is this important? Because otherwise you would be taking European
> money and using it to fund a project which originated in the US (I think it
> fair to call it a US project). It does not enrich European software to be
> developing Sage. This is crucial from the point of view of referees, in my
> opinion (again, please bear in mind this is my own personal opinion, and
> doesn't necessarily reflect the opinion of anyone else I have anything to
> do with).
>
> If Pari had been started in the US, or Australia, or Chili, would that
> make it more or less important to support?

No.

> Even if a European was
> going to be paid to do the work to satisfy the "keep European money in
> Europe" bias you're referring to, and they and their European
> collaborators benefit from this work?

It's not about who you are paying.

> >> Saying that it is a US (or European) project is just completely wrong.
> >>

> > It was started by William Stein at the University of Washington. A large
> > portion of the funding that built that project up came from grants of
> > William Stein and other funding he obtained, including from the NSF. He
> is
> > also in the process of trying to build a company in collaboration with
> the
> > University of Washington to make money to fund Sage development.
> >
> > The Sage Foundation is run through the University of Washington. If I
> donate
> > to the project, the money is handled by the University of Washington.
> >
> > There is no way that you can justify the assertion that Sage is not
> > primarily administered out of the US. And it has oodles of unpaid
> developers
> > all over the world.
>
> As you mention, the primary form of contribution is unpaid developer
> contributions. Likely the next largest source of "funding" is hosting
> Sage Days (which are typically sponsored and funded by the hosting
> organization), only half of which have been in the US. I don't have
> numbers myself, but I would be extremely surprised if the money
> handled by UW through the Sage Foundation (outside of that for local
> Sage Days funding) is not tiny compared to those two largely
> international sources of support.

 Irrelevant.

What you don't understand is that in order to *get* European funding, you
have to satisfy certain criteria. Arguing that Sage is this or that doesn't
help you *get* the funding.

I'm kinda sick of this subject now.

Bill.