On Tue, 2 Sep 2014, Nathann Cohen wrote:

Because it is (mostly) irrelevant. Just as users should not be bothered by things like "There is a SSD disk in this computer" or "Calculations are actually executed on cloud" or "This mail was delivered with SMTP protocol".

It's a point of faith, I believe. I feel that we owe users a good and
simple interface, but our code contains bugs and we do fix them, and
letting them know that is not a sin. There was a recent thread,
however, were some developpers raised the same points and wanted the
"TESTS" field (the place where we store those checks) to be hidden
from the final doc. Either way, we (as developpers) should keep those
things along, and independently of whether users should see them or
not, it should not leave Sage's source code.

+1 to TESTS.

In the ideal world there would be different levels of documentation. Something like

"Use Matrix(...) to create matrix. For example Matrix([[1,2],[3,4]]). Click here for more options."

and after clicking user would find for example sparce-option. But of course developers time is finite resource, so I don't except this kind of stuff to be done within several years.

--
Jori Mäntysalo