> Permutation groups used to only handle permutations of 1,..n, and the
> methods permute_rows and friends of matrices coped with this with an
> ugly and potentially confusing shift by 1.

EVERYBODY is using those -1 and +1 everywhere. Those 1-based permutations
are just hell for whoever uses the code. Happens in graphs too, and in
combinatorial designs.

> After this ticket,
> permutation of 0,...,n-1 are accepted and handled as can be
> expected. For permutations of 1..n and subsets thereof, the behavior
> is unchanged for backward compatibility.

What about doing the job properly and respecting our own standards ? If you
want to use 0-based permutations (and I am pretty sure that we all do),
let's change this %*%*%$(&*(#&%_ permutation class to do what it should
have been doing all along !

Nathann