I understand that you would expect the same result when calling a function
on a list and on a tuple. I'm still not sure it needs to be changed: what
you call a bug is obviously a feature for many people.

And nevertheless, what I don't see is why you would expect the same
behaviour when calling () or [ ] on a object. Yes, maybe, it wasn't the
best choice. But it's not absurd: it just considers the permutation to be a
word and adds the () feature to use it as a function. Changing this would
just mess tons of people work, mine included.

But anyway we're going very far from the original subject. I'm not sure
anyone has time now to rethink permutations entirely in a way that would be
more consistent and without messing people's code and work, i.e. without
erasing everythink as you suggest and change behaviour everywhere on a
object that is used by many many people.

Best,
Viviane