> Also, I agree Nathan has a point with the cycle notation. It shouln't be a
> single cycle but a list. There is still the problem of backward compatibily.

I don't consider that we have to stay backward-compatible with past bugs.
But we can have the usual 1-year 'deprecationwarning' whenever anybody
creates a Permutation from a tuple. I find it worse, but that's the Sage
way.

> Nathan, I would be glad if you could  give *some* credit to the people who
> use permutations the way they are and listen when we tell you: we need them
> to start at 1!!

This thread has been created because Nicolas is implementing a workaround
for this "standard" in Matrices. Doesn't it scream that the standard is bad
? A workaround in the very same software !

If I were a reviewer for this patch, I would set the ticket to needs_work
only because "the matrix file is no place to parse permutation input. Use
the class that already exists for that. If it does not do what you want
then update it, but this code does not belong to the matrix files".

Still left unanswered:

sage: Permutation([1,2,3])[1]
2
sage: Permutation([1,2,3])(1)
1

Is there a consensus here that this is a sound behaviour ? How do you want
me to believe that the current 1-based syntax is the best to not confuse
beginners when it creates behaviours like that ?

Nathann