Yo !

> enumerating inclusion-wise minimal no-sets is not a remedy: if
> f =(lambda x: len(x)<k) for |X|=2k, you're pretty much
> out of luck.

Indeed. But it is much, much, much better in most cases.

> we don't need them all, we only need the maximal ones.
> LP won't even look at subsets of an already discovered yes-set.

I can discard forget them too with my code. I don't really need to keep them.

> your bitsets are not pruned, and eventually you might end up with
> too many of them to be efficient. Whereas ILP solver would discard
> redundant inequalities.

They cannot be pruned. There is nothing to prune. I only keep the minimal ones.

> As well, as you know, there are combinatorial problems, e.g. finding a
> maximum clique in a graph,
> where ILP might beat the straight combinatorial algorithms. Now make your f
> report True on a graph clique,
> and False on a non-clique, and wait forever for your code to finish...

In this case the list of no-sets is known from the start, and it is
small. And the boolean function can be quickly evaluated. Clearly not
what this function is meant to handle.

Nathann