> > And it was quite likely Pascal being learnt on paper.
>
> For what it is worth, my first programming language was C learned on
> paper, probably around 1981.  I had no access to a computer, but I
> knew how to read, and somehow obtained a book on C, which I read and
> simulated.

Totally possible - I tried to do this with BASIC in the late 80's but since
I didn't have a computer I got bored with it and learned more math instead,
I guess :)  But probably not ideal to go from paper to production in just a
few weeks along with your other coursework!

Along these lines, the Hour of Code team at code.org has some great
activities for contexts where internet is slow/computers are not
sufficient/unreliable.  Go to http://code.org/learn and scroll down to "Try
'unplugged' computer science".  They are really cool and don't need much
more than paper and pencil, or in one case small cups that can stack.
Worth a peek.

- kcrisman