Sage is very lucky indeed that Pari exists and is as good as it is for
many things.  Sage is also very lucky that you (Jeroen) exist since
you have been very useful to *both* projects, working hard to improve
both, and on particular reporting -- and fixing -- a lot of "upstream"
bugs, i.e. bugs in Pari.    The set of Pari developers is so small
(essentially 2)  that personalities matter.  I know both Karim and
Bill well, but just last week was so annoyed with Bill's reaction on
pari-dev tha I did actually unsubscribe from that list.  You have
given us more examples if this stubborn-ness.

Perhaps we need more Sage people active on pari-dev (I could re-join!)
to up-vote such changes.  I think Karim is much more aware of the
value of Pari to the wider community than Bill, especially if due
credit is given to Pari where it is used within Sage.  (I'm sure many
Sage users do not know how much Pari is used for come very important
functionality, such as most number field stuff.)

I would be very worried by an explicit fork.  What about maintainability?

John