I propose to remove the SAGE_UPGRADING variable and make it act like it
would be always "yes" (instead of "no", which is the current default).
Right now, we sabotage "make" to not rebuild dependencies of rebuilt
packages. So you don't have to wait long for your broken Sage installation.

The only sane alternative would be to have it default to "yes", but I don't
really think that we really need something with such a narrow use case. You
can of course always only individual packages (sage -f) and only the sage
library (sage -b) if you are feeling lucky. But "make" should really
produce something that works IMHO.