Hey,

Let me clarify the situation. There are two useful features: plain
posets and posets endowed with a distinguished linear extension. At
this point, and since its implementation in 2008, Poset implements the
latter. This could use some clarification in the documentation.

For a long while this went unnoticed. 20 months ago it was realized
and discussed that we needed both features, and that it would natural
if, by default, Poset would implement the former, like its name
suggests. At this point I believe the only spot in the Sage library
that uses the second feature is the linear extension code by Anne, and
it's specifying the linear extension explicitly, so handling backward
compatibility should not be too bad.

Someone volunteered to fix the code, and did not get to do it. You
volunteered and tried hard -- which I really appreciate -- and did not
get to do it either.

Nathann: I understand your frustration that nothing happened in 20
months. I am really frustrated too; we are not doing well here.

You may conclude that things don't happen by being kind and welcoming,
if you wish. I let you analyze whether being aggressive works any
better. But one needs to take into account all the time and energy
spent in non productive discussions and hurt feelings. For example,
Anne is now rightfully upset at being publicly blamed for the
situation, when she just used and followed the current specifications.

I let you judge by yourself whether, instead, the original author,
Franco, should be blamed for not clarifying the situation on the onset
and not implementing both features from the onset.

I am personally grateful that he wrote the poset code, even with its
current limitations and despite all the time I already spent
fixing/working around some of them. Still this has been less time than
if I had had to write it myself from scratch.

Cheers,
                                Nicolas
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/