I took some time (at last...) to experiment with sage 6.4beta6 and the new
(and impressive !) IPython notebook, and I noticed something curious in the
behaviour of graphics in various interfaces.

- From command line, typing  "plot(sin,[x,-5,5],figsize=3)" [Enter] opens
an mage viewer with the resultant curve. Nothing new.

- From the IPython notebook, started with sage -n ipython, typing
"plot(sin,[x,-5,5],figsize=3)" [Enter] gets me the curve.as expected.

But,

- From the "classic" notebook, started with sage -n, typing
"plot(sin,[x,-5,5],figsize=3)" [Enter] gets me a warning :

/usr/local/sage-6.3/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/core/forma\
tters.py:239: FormatterWarning: Exception in text/plain formatter:
should never launch viewer in embedded mode
  FormatterWarning,

then the answer "None". Re-evaluating the cell gets me only the "None"
answer. To get thje curve, I have to type
"plot(sin,[x,-5,5],figsize=3).show()"

- From emacs with sage_mode 0.12 typing "plot(sin,[x,-5,5],figsize=3)"
[Enter] gets me the following error :
KeyError                                  Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-11-9dfc8535347b> in <module>()
----> 1 plot(sin,[x,-Integer(5),Integer(5)],figsize=Integer(3))

/usr/local/sage-6.3/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/core/displayhook.pyc

in __call__(self, result)
    251             self.write_output_prompt()
    252             format_dict, md_dict = self.compute_format_data(result)
--> 253             self.write_format_data(format_dict, md_dict)
    254             self.update_user_ns(result)
    255             self.log_output(format_dict)

/usr/local/sage-6.3/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/core/displayhook.pyc

in write_format_data(self, format_dict, md_dict)
    172         # newline, even if all the prompt separators are ''. This
is the
    173         # standard IPython behavior.
--> 174         result_repr = format_dict['text/plain']
    175         if '\n' in result_repr:
    176             # So that multi-line strings line up with the left
column of

KeyError: 'text/plain'

That happens at every attempt. Typing "plot(sin,[x,-5,5],figsize=3).show()"
gets
me the expected curve [ thanks again, Ivan ! ].

Is this "new" behaviour expected ? If so, where is it documented ? If not,
isn't it a snafu in output modes expected by the various interfaces ?

Last but not least : does this deserves a ticket ?

Other remarks :

- The absence of typesetting abilities is painful for people (like me) not
well trained in decyphering sage notation for mathematics : I seriously
miss the visual hints of "classical" mathematical notation... I understand
this is planned ; I just hope this has some not-too-low priority.

- Also on the whishlist :

   - A way to export a worksheet to latex, along te lines of the previous
   work on "classical" notebook (sws2tex), but supportingthe ipython format
   (hint : the current sws2tex has a nasty bug : trying any worksheet (even
   written in pure english, fires up a bug about an impossible conversion to
   ascii. I suspect an embedded assumption about encoding that I hacve been
   unable to find...).
   - A better way to view 3D plots (one can .show() a 3D plot, thus opening
   an external viewer, but one gets a static view by default, and the doc of
   the default viewer (to be able to change the point of view) is pretty
   elusive...
   - A way to view() various objects not involving an external \LaTeX
   document.

HTH,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier