On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 5:57 AM, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Yup, we're a little behind... :)  Trying to get 3.0 out before the end
>> > of the year. The JupyterHub tool is more admin-oriented, so we don't
>> > have a release date for it yet: people are using it for now straight out
>> > of github, and until we feel that we have an API and model we really
>> > like, it will likely continue that way.
>>
>> So, for an Sage server admin this means that there is no horry to look at
>> IPython yet? And on the other hand, IPython will come, and there is no
>> meaning to make big enhancements to sagenb?
>>

> I think the lack of progress on sagenb is much more due to the
> *simultaneous* existence of the (for now, beta) Jupyter and SMC projects.
> Nearly all effort that would have gone to sagenb has gone in those
> directions - and I'm not criticizing those projects, just recognizing
> reality.

In addition note that there was little [1] progress on sagenb for
years before Jupyter=IPython and SMC existed.  This might be because
people who learn about modern web development realize that sagenb was
written/rewritten mostly in 2006-2009 [2], and that web development
technology (both frontend and backend) has progressed dramatically
since then.  They might thus not be motivated to work on sagenb.

[1] There was a rewrite of the frontend UI of sagenb, which wasn't
quite released...  The last serious work I can remember on sagenb was
Mike Hansen switching it to use flask and that was quite a while ago.

[2] Not only that, but sagenb doesn't even use a database, so it feels
more like it was from the 1990s...  (my fault.)

>> For
>> now sagenb works quite well for user viewpoint. As an admin I see
>> missing features, like really deleting a given user include data, and
>> deleting accounts that have no local password and ldap does not found use
>> anymore. Also main page for documentation on sagemath.org does not contain
>> "Admin's Guide" parallel to "Developer's Guide".
>>

> Please do open issues at the sagenb github site, that would be quite
> helpful.  Also, it's really interesting to me how many admins have these
> truly amazing fixes that they haven't shared with the rest of the community
> because sagenb development has been moribund.  A few of us are trying to fix
> that, though.

> - kcrisman

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics