On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 5:27 AM, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > IMHO we should only modify upstream tarballs if we have to (e.g. strip
>> > out
>> > non-free parts). The upstream tarballs are cached, so its just a
>> > one-time
>> > download anyways.
>>
>> There are people who have a very bad band-with. In my case, it's fine
>> when I am at university. But other than that, I only have a mobile
>> internet stick, for which 50MB more or less really matters.
>
> And outside the developed world this can be even more of a problem.
> Especially for upgrades I notice it can take a while even on my relatively
> fast US connection - gcc took several minutes at least to download on my
> last `git pull`.

These packages are already big enough that, for most people, it's not
interactive (i.e. one starts the download, does something else for a
while, then checks back to see if it's done). As such the difference
between 4 minutes and 10 is really not that big of a deal. I think
there are few people that have an internet connection that is

* Good enough to download Sage, but
* poor enough that an extra 50 or even 100 megabytes is an undue burden.

Certainly not worth re-packaging upstream tarballs unless absolutely necessary.

- Robert