Hi,

On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 01:20:26AM -0800, Robert Bradshaw wrote:

> >> There are people who have a very bad band-with. In my case, it's fine
> >> when I am at university. But other than that, I only have a mobile
> >> internet stick, for which 50MB more or less really matters.
> >
> > And outside the developed world this can be even more of a problem.
> > Especially for upgrades I notice it can take a while even on my relatively
> > fast US connection - gcc took several minutes at least to download on my
> > last `git pull`.
>
> These packages are already big enough that, for most people, it's not
> interactive (i.e. one starts the download, does something else for a
> while, then checks back to see if it's done). As such the difference
> between 4 minutes and 10 is really not that big of a deal. I think
> there are few people that have an internet connection that is
>
> * Good enough to download Sage, but
> * poor enough that an extra 50 or even 100 megabytes is an undue burden.
>
> Certainly not worth re-packaging upstream tarballs unless absolutely
> necessary.

+1 with this point of view.

However, when lacking good internet connection, unless the bandwidth is
so slow that it was already impossible to download sage itself (in such
(frequent) cases the question is irrelevant, and workarounds like the
self replicating live USB may apply), as for me the problem is not much
the total size (one can wait), but the fact that some spkgs are a huge
single file and must be downloaded all at once.

A concrete example for me is "sage -i database_gap" which always
requires a lot of attempts because in the download duration, there is
always a timeout at some point that forces to redownload everything from
the beginning. A manual solution is to use repeated "wget --continue"
within the upstream/ directory, which 'sage -i' is not offering by
default. I am not sure if urllib has such an obstination option.

Ciao,
Thierry