On Nov 14, 2014 8:57 AM, "Bill Page" <bill.p...@newsynthesis.org> wrote:

> On 14 November 2014 02:19, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.cer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.cer...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> Ok, thanks for the confirmation.
> >>
> >> There is an issue though --- since |z| is not analytic, the
> >> derivatives depend on the direction. So along "x" you get
> >
> > |z|' = \partial |z| / \partial x = d |z| / d z + d |z| / d
conjugate(z) =
> > conjugate(z) / (2*|z|) + z / (2*|z|) = Re(z) / |z|
> >
> > but along "y" you get:
> >
> > |z|' = \partial |z| / \partial i*y = d |z| / d z - d |z| / d
conjugate(z) =
> > conjugate(z) / (2*|z|) - z / (2*|z|) = i*Im(z) / |z|
> >
> > So I get something completely different.
>
> It seems to me that we should forget about x and y.  All we really need is
>
>  |z|'  = d |z| / d z = conjugate(z) / (2*|z|)
>
> and the appropriate algebraic properties of conjugate.

Sure, we can make a CAS return this. But then you get the 1/2 there.

> > So which direction should be preferred in the CAS convention and why?
> >

> Well, um, you did write: "Because I would like to get
>
>   d|x| / d x = x / |x|
>
>   for real x".
>
> The constant 1/2 is irrelevant.

Well, but how do I recover the real derivative from the complex one if they
differ by a factor of 1/2?

In other words, what is the utility of such a definition then?

I can see the utility of differentiating with respect to x, as at least you
must recover the real derivative results.

Ondrej