On Nov 14, 2014 11:30 AM, "Bill Page" <bill.p...@newsynthesis.org> wrote:

> On 14 November 2014 13:18, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.cer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Nov 14, 2014 8:57 AM, "Bill Page" <bill.p...@newsynthesis.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> It seems to me that we should forget about x and y.  All we really
need is

> >>  |z|'  = d |z| / d z = conjugate(z) / (2*|z|)
> >>
> >> and the appropriate algebraic properties of conjugate.
> >
> > Sure, we can make a CAS return this. But then you get the 1/2 there.
> >

> Yes.

> >> The constant 1/2 is irrelevant.
> >
> > Well, but how do I recover the real derivative from the complex one if
they
> > differ by a factor of 1/2?
> >

> What do you mean by "the real derivative"?

The absolute value doesn't have a complex derivative, but it has a real
derivative, over the real axis.

> Perhaps we can just define that as
>
>   d f / d z + d f / d  conjugate(z)
>
> > In other words, what is the utility of such a definition then?
> >
> > I can see the utility of differentiating with respect to x, as at least
you
> > must recover the real derivative results.
> >

> You are not differentiating with respect to x, you are differentiating
> with respect to
>
>   (z+conjugate(z))/2

Is that how you propose to define the derivatives for non-analytic
functions? I am a little confused what exactly is your proposal.

I think one either leaves the derivatives of non analytic functions
unevaluated, or defines them in such a way that one recovers the real
derivative as a special case, as long as there are no inconsistencies.

Ondrej