On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 8:05 AM, Bill Page <bill.p...@newsynthesis.org> wrote:
> On 18 November 2014 09:02, David Roe <roed.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I've just been casually following this conversation, but I think it's
>>> important that the derivative of abs(x) be sign(x) not 2*sign(x) or
>>> 1/2*sign(x).
>>>

> What makes it important that "the" derivative of abs(x) be sign(x)?
> An important point here is that there is no one single unique
> derivative of non-analytic functions like abs, but rather than all of
> their derivatives can be expressed in terms of just two.  I am
> seriously interested in reasons for retaining the status quo.

Because derivative is not just used in the context of functions of a
complex variable (whether they are analytic or not).  Probably more
than 90% of Sage users don't know any complex analysis (as frequently
lamented by rtf).  I will certainly acknowledge that people get things
wrong with regard to sqrt and log by not knowing about branch cuts.
But when it comes to the definition of derivative, we need to stay
consistent with the standard definition of lim_{h -> 0} (f(x + h) -
f(x))/h for functions of a real variable (or functions that many
people interpret as just functions of a real variable).  Any other
decision will cause frustration for the vast majority of our users.
David