On 18 November 2014 13:41, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.cer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Bill Page <bill.p...@newsynthesis.org>
> wrote:
>> Have you had a chance to consider the issue of the chain-rule yet?
>
> Yes. Very straightforward, as I suggested in my last email. Just start with:
>
> D f / D z = df/dz + df/d conjugate(z) * e^{-2*i*theta}
>
> and then consider the chain rule for Wirtinger derivatives
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtinger_derivatives#Functions_of_one_complex_variable_2),
> I am sure that can be proven quite easily.

Let me make sure I understand your proposal.  Are you saying that you
would introduce the symbolic expression

   e^{-2*i*theta}

with theta undefined in the result of all derivatives?  So that
diff(x) is always the sum of two terms. In particular

  abs(x).diff(x)

would return the symbolic expression

  conjugate(x)/(2*abs(x)) + conjugate(x)/(2*abs(x))* e^{-2*i*theta}

If you are, then clearly one can recover both Wirtinger derivatives
from this expression and the rest holds.

> Then you just calculate directly:
> So it exactly agrees, except that there is a theta dependence in the
> final answer and GiNaC implicitly chose theta=0.
> I hope I didn't make some mistake somewhere, but it looks all
> straightforward to me.

It looks OK to me but I must say, it probably seems rather peculiar
from the point of view expressed earlier by David Roe.

How can you explain the presence of the e^theta term to someone
without experience in complex analysis or at least multi-variable
calculus?

I thought rather that what you were proposing was to set theta=0 from
the start.  If you did that, then I think you still have problems with
the chain rule.

Bill.