Hi Maldun,

On 2014-11-28, maldun <dom...@gmx.net> wrote:
> So far as I understand, this code/guidline/whatever does not serve as a
> law, or is written in stone,
> nor does it say: "If you don't behave as stated in the code, you will be
> teared feathered and be banned forever!"

It is the experience of some people participating in the discussion that
there is a difference between the official intention of a set of rules,
and the spirit in which the rules will eventually be used in reality.

Dima has provided a link to some communist code of conduct. Its rules seem
mainly harmless, but since social rules are never objective, it is always
possible to use them against unwanted people.

And to give you an example that is smaller than Soviet Union:
I have seen teachers claiming that the rules they set up just
serve to the good of the class (in the current discussion, the word
"safety nest" was used), but all what they did was creating a snake pit
(and I'd say: deliberately). In one case, four pupils out of a class of
20 pupils left the school within one year. From two of them I know that
they left since the teacher's rules could too easily be instrumented by
bullies.

> I don't think it's that big deal, it's like hanging up some nice slogans on
> your wall like 'Be nice to others.'

That's totally opposite to my experience. I respect that the majority of
people here wants some kind of code of conduct/guideline/etiquette. But
I also know that it can be used as a weapon to nuke a society. So, haste
in creating the thing can be fatal.

Cheers,
Simon