Hi Simon and all,

> If a substantial part of our community would share that attitude, we'd be in
> serious trouble, I am afraid.
>
> For creating a conflict, it is in some cases sufficient to have a single
> person who had have a bad day or didn't sleep enough, causing a temporary
> misjudgement.
>
> However, for keeping a conflict boiling, it is in all cases necessary to have
> several people who are committing continued misjudgements. And that's what
> the mentioned attitude achieves.
>
> And unfortunately, a code of conduct can not prevent a temporary
> misjudgement, but it may encourage the mentioned attitude, making conflicts a
> lot more violent.
>
> In other words, if you are able to see a legitimate request behind a wall of
> behaviour that seems inappropriate to you, then you should answer that
> request. It is fine if you are not able to, but then
> please don't answer at all.

I think the whole conundrum is not about one person having a bad day, but
repeated behaviors that many different people perceive as offensive and are
turned away by. That, to a community of
volunteers, is dangerous! It is counter productive and takes a lot of positive
energy away.

Viviane mentioned already once the situation where someone opens a thread to
discuss something, but then gets attacked and/or the discussion disintegrates.
Then what do you do if you still want to
discuss these issues? Since you seem to have very strong opinions how things
should be done and I am in such a situation, I would like to know how should
this be handled?

Best,

Anne