Hi!

Since William's statement, that Sage failed as a real alternative to the 4
MMs there are currently some threads
with thoughts on improving Sage.

But till now I see only discussions among the devlopers. But I think we
should also ask the users.
The most of us here are scientists. But to make Sage successful we have to
be more considerate
about a big block of non mathematicians and beginners, which are a big
portion of potential users.

I don't think that the functionality of Sage is the big problem, in fact
Sage has a great features for zero cost.
A bigger problem is that Sage is lacking good 'user experience'. This
starts already with installation.
We still don't have a good Windows version, and you can't install Sage from
the standard repos of your favorite distribution.
SageMathCloud overcomes some of these problems by providing
an out of the box we interface, but there are still people who want
something to install on their hard drive.
Especially If they don't want to go online for security reasons, or want to
use their own hardware.
Additionally it often appears to me that sage lacks of clean design.

So I ask:

Are there any serious attempts to analyze standard user needs more
systematically?
(And I don't talk about bug reports) I didn't find any except for a survey
from 2009.

I think it is very important to get at least some clues about

   1. What do most need people for their daily needs
   2. How well does these standard tasks work.

I give an example from my personal experience: Many people have
purely numerical tasks with little symbolics involved (classical in
engineering)
so they will use much of numpy functionality.
If they use Sage then they often will get annoyed by the preparser not
handling numpy/scipy well.
I know at least 3 people, which switched to IPython+Sympy because of that
reason. Not because
Sage isn't worse, but some things don't go along very well.

A keen Sage user now would simply turn the preparser off.  And that would
be the answer.
This may seem quite trivial to developers which work on far harder topics
and are good programmers.
Personally I don't have problems tinkering around a bit.

But 'normal' people will

   1. not read the docu, simply want that it works out of the box
   2.  not ask for support

Most users simply want to input some formulas and want the problem be
solved quite elegantly,
The feeling is very important.

So what can we do? We have to ask the users!

In the information age it shouldn't be such a big deal to make some
standard surveys on SageMathCloud
and Sagemath.org. Of course a short one.

Another good start would be make some simple standard tasks as an excercise
sheet for students which don't know Sage
(e.g. first training session in a math course using sage). Then let the
students solve them on their own, and finally let them fill
in a form, what they liked and what not, what was difficult, what easy.

I know the most of the developers are scientists, and don't care much about
good 'marketing'.
But think of Henry Ford: He didn't built the best cars the automotif sector
t his time, but he gave people
what they needed, and hence was successful.

I hope I made my concerns clear.

Best regards,
Stefan