Hi. I have yet to contribute code to sage, but I think I've found something
easy enough for me to start with. I'd like to talk about how to proceed.

I found ticket #13892 <http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/13892> and the
apparent duplicate ticket #15318 <http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/15318>
which indicate that the Mathematica interface is fragile and has been
broken for a couple of years. In the previous conversation about this in
this group a couple of years ago it was suggested that the way forward is
to use MathLink (now WSTP) to communicate with Mathematica. Licensing
issues prohibit Sage from linking to or distributing the MathLink library.
However, I cannot see any issue with shipping sage with source code that
can link (at install time perhaps) to a library that already exists on an
enduser's system for which the enduser has a legitimate license. In fact
the discussion in 2012 essentially suggests this as a solution: write some
code that uses MathLink, release it under a BSD license (say), and have
Sage compile/link this code on install and use an expect interface as
usual.

I'd like to execute this strategy. I've written a minimalist textual
interface to Mathematica using MathLink
<https://github.com/rljacobson/MathLinkBridge>, not much more sophisticated
than the example code by S.C.Sheridan bundled with Todd Gayley's MathLink
tutorial. As far as I can tell, this should be sufficient. If it's not
sufficient, let's discuss what additional functionality we need for a Sage
interface to Mathematica. If it is sufficient, should I proceed to writing
some code to allow Sage to use this interface to Mathematica?

--Robert