On 22 Dec 2014 00:43, "Robert Jacobson" <rljacob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi. I have yet to contribute code to sage, but I think I've found
something easy enough for me to start with. I'd like to talk about how
to proceed.

> I found ticket #13892 and the apparent duplicate ticket
#15318 which indicate that the Mathematica interface is fragile and has
been broken for a couple of years. In the previous conversation about this
in this group a couple of years ago it was suggested that the way forward
is to use MathLink (now WSTP) to communicate with Mathematica.

That seems a sensible approach to me. At least then one is dealing with a
documented API, rather than an undefined interface that WRI can change from
version or operating system.

> Licensing issues

They need thinking about.

There is an open source command line interface to Mathematica.  IIRC it
uses curses so one can recall previous input, edit it and reevaluate.

Dave