On 2014-12-30, Jean-Pierre Flori <jpfl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ------=_Part_7226_1855919527.1419939792163
>
> ------=_Part_7227_239517614.1419939792164
>

> On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 12:35:30 PM UTC+1, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>>
>> On 2014-12-30, Nathann Cohen <nathan...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>> > I wondered about this syntax. You can build a finite field from a
>> > prime number with GF(p), but if what you have is a prime power you
>> > should write GF(q,'x') instead.
>> >
>> > I very often need to create a lot of finite fields, but I could not
>> > care less about this 'x' and so I type this even though I do not need
>> > it. Would it make sense to you if we made this argument optional ? It
>> > would be 'x' by default, or anything else that you would prefer.
>>
>> I don't see how this would play out nicely if you, say, define
>> GF(27) and then define GF(9).
>> Would the latter definition invalidate the former?
>>
>> In GAP this is solved by having a special indexed variable Z(p^k), for
>> p a prime and k a natural number. Then after defining GF(27) and
>> then defining GF(9)
>> you can still refer to the elements of the former as a*Z(27)^i,
>> for a and i integers.
>>
>> If something similar can be done in Sage, OK.
>> Otherwise, -1.
>>
> Would Peter's solution suits you?
> It does suit me.

Well, it does not go far enough - it only works if you stay within one
characteristic:

 sage: GF(3).algebraic_closure().subfield(5)[0]
 Finite Field in z5 of size 3^5
 sage: GF(2).algebraic_closure().subfield(5)[0]
 Finite Field in z5 of size 2^5

the latter z5 is not distinguishable from the former one, but they
refer to rather different things.

I presume they should rather be z3_5 and z2_5 - but this is still a
far cry from flexibility of GAP, where you can write Z(2^5) to mean
the same thing as Z(32).

Dima