Le 30/12/2014 13:31, Jean-Pierre Flori a écrit :
Anyhow, the above looks ugly. How about

     sage: F.<z5> = GF(3, 5)

    and the following should also lead to the same thing:

     sage: F.<z5> = GF(3^5)

We already have that, or am I missing something?

We have only the second one. I haven't checked exactly what happens with the first, but the result is as follows:

sage: F.<z5> = GF(3, 5)
sage: F
Finite Field of size 3

Note also that some kind of mechanism exists for finite fields defined by Conway polynomials. One needs to give a prefix, and then the variable name becomes 'z'+str(n) for GF(p^n,conway=True,prefix='z'). One could argue that we should make 'z' (or something else) the default prefix these finite fields, though we have the same problem as mentioned above of z5 denoting the variable for GF(2^5, ...) and GF(3^5, ...).

Also, even if it may be a bit orthogonal to the present discussion, it may be a good idea to homogenize the interface, allowing the "prefix=..." construction even without conway, and allowing the "name=..." when conway=True.

Bruno

    Dima

    <javascript:>> wrote:
    >> > I wondered about this syntax. You can build a finite field
    from a
    >> > prime number with GF(p), but if what you have is a prime
    power you
    >> > should write GF(q,'x') instead.
    >> >
    >> > I very often need to create a lot of finite fields, but I
    could not
    >> > care less about this 'x' and so I type this even though I do
    not need
    >> > it. Would it make sense to you if we made this argument
    optional ? It
    >> > would be 'x' by default, or anything else that you would prefer.
    >>
    >> I don't see how this would play out nicely if you, say, define
    >> GF(27) and then define GF(9).
    >> Would the latter definition invalidate the former?
    >>
    >> In GAP this is solved by having a special indexed variable
    Z(p^k), for

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "sage-devel" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sage-devel+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:sage-devel+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to sage-devel@googlegroups.com <mailto:sage-devel@googlegroups.com>.