On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 1:05:43 PM UTC-8, William wrote:
>>
>> sage: R.<x> = QQ[]
>> sage: S.<y> = QQ[]
>> sage: x + y
>> [BOOM] -- see [1]
>

> Magma does have the capability of having multiple univariate polynomial
> rings (and multivariate ones are non-global by default):
>
>> R<x>:=PolynomialRing(Rationals():Global:=false);
>> S<y>:=PolynomialRing(Rationals():Global:=false);
>> R;
> Univariate Polynomial Ring in x over Rational Field
>> S;
> Univariate Polynomial Ring in y over Rational Field

Thanks for the clarification.  I was unaware of Global:=false for
PolynomialRings in Magma.  I don't know if that option was there when
I learned about Magma's PolynomialRings in the first place (in
1998)...

> It's perhaps unfortunate that there is a coercion between them, though:
>
>> x+y;
> 2*x
>> y+x;
> 2*y

Yes, that's unfortunate...

> In any case, the name of the generator is *not* part of the identity of a
> parent, whereas in sage it is.

Yes, that's really the key distinction.

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics