On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 12:14:46 PM UTC+1, Marc Mezzarobba wrote:

> Or, to put it differently: why are so many parents Cython classes if
> there are no benefits?

My guess is that its a documentation issue, we should really spell out how
to organize parent/elements:

* Start with the element class in a python file (cython if you are wrapping
C/C++)

* The parent is in a separate Python file and imports the element, but not
the other way round.

* Later you can cythonize the element (after benchmarking).

Some of the basic parent/elements in Sage are extremely optimized and not a
good model for getting started with your own structure.