On 2015-02-11 16:31, Marc Mezzarobba wrote:
Yes, that's my question, more or less: for example, QQ is an instance of
a Python class, and has a fast element constructor, declared as such in
the parent's __init__, but defined outside the Python class, so that (if
my understanding is correct, I'm quite new to all that!) when
Element.__call__ calls it, it is a Cython call.
There is no Element.__call__.

In any case, it seems that Cython cannot generate a C call for __init__ (I don't know why it cannot). Cython recommends to use __new__ which calls __cinit__ but not __init__ if you want fast instantiation:

https://github.com/cython/cython/wiki/FAQ#id21