Hi

0 jan@muizenberg:~$dpkg -S /usr/bin/sagemath
sagemath-upstream-binary: /usr/bin/sagemath

I've already added that in the PPA due to the same reasons ;)
And it lives in /usr/lib/sagemath.
I'd advocate even chaging the command line on the long run (support both
for a few years).

Most important -- searching for help on google might take you to the wrong
place.
Almost as bad as LaTeX.

Regards,
Jan

On 18 February 2015 at 14:13, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sage Developers,
>
> Several people and events have suggested to me that the official name
> of "Sage" should be filled out to be "SageMath", like the website url
> (which is sagemath.org and has been since I bought it in 2006).    One
> motivation is that a trademark search [1] for Sage shows over 1100
> results, whereas a search for "SageMath" gives 0 results.  Another
> motivation is that many other software products are called Sage, which
> causes confusion.
>
> This change could be pretty **minimal**, at least initially.  The
> actual command name and "sage:" prompt wouldn't change, and we would
> still call it "sage" in discussions, emails, etc.  It's just that the
> full name of the software is "SageMath", so Math is sort of a
> disambiguating last name. However, the website would change from
> beginning with "Sage is a free open-source mathematics software system
> licensed ..." to "SageMath is a free open-source mathematics software
> system licensed ...", and we would encourage using the tag "sagemath"
> in places like stackoverflow.  And there would be a FAQ entry.
>
> Personally, in the very long run I think this is the right thing to do
> to help our users avoid confusion and to be respectful to the many
> other projects called just "Sage".   I don't want this to turn into a
> bikeshedding discussion, with a million suggestions for names.  I also
> don't think any other name change would make sense or be as seamless
> except maybe "SageMaths" (I'm curious if SageMath sounds really bad to
> non-Americans?)
>
> [1]
> http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4807:xnwk8p.1.1
>
> --