I did not know this ticket but it is a related problem. I guess, following
also Simon, that the best choice is to create something like
LocalPolynomialRing admitting local orderings since even if all the
algorithms can be performed inside the polynomials (as Singular does) the
actual rings are different. In the example of ticket #10708, the ideal
generated by 1-x is the unit ideal, i.e. the total local ring, and hence
its Krull dimension is -1.