Hi Bruno,

On 2015-02-19, Bruno Grenet <bruno.gre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would definitely make sense to me to have a simpler way to obtain the
> same result as above, for instance with the simpler invocation:
>
> sage: R.<t> = PolynomialRing(QQ, order='neglex')
>
> To me it would make sense to return a libsingular multivariate
> polynomial ring whenever an ordering is prescribed or an implementation
> is explicitly chosen. But I think I've seen quite often people writing
>
> sage: R.<t> = PolynomialRing(QQ, 1)
>
> and I do not think they wanted to get a Multivariate 1-variable
> Polynomial Ring. While whenever a user writes "order=..." or
> "implementation=singluar", it seems quite clear that s/he knows what
> s/he wants!

While I totally agree that using arguments "order=..." or
"implementation=libsingular" should in future be sufficient to create a
(multivariate and potentially localised) libsingular polynomial ring, I
am not so sure about changing the meaning of "PolynomialRing(QQ,1)". It
would be a backward incompatible change, and some people out in the wild
use it. So, to the very least we'd need a deprecation period.

Best regards,
Simon