On 02/25/2015 03:04 PM, William Stein wrote:

>> Any other implementation will be just as slow.
>
> I'm not sure I agree.  This eratosthenes function is pure Python code.
>   It would probably be 100 times faster if rewritten in Cython using
> int's or long's.  In fact, this is (more or less) the canonical first
> example of a function that benefits directly from being compiled
> rather than pure Python -- it's the first example on the Pyrex page:
>
>     http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python/Pyrex/
>
> That you would think "it's the sieve of Eratosthenes, running as fast
> as it can.   Any other implementation will be just as slow" is in fact
> to me a very strong argument for why it *should* have toy in the name.
> Since if it did, it's highly unlikely you would think it is "running
> as fast as it can".

Surely we aren't going to start naming things "toy" just because they're
written in Python?

I tested in Cython and was going to post numbers, but looking back, you
only suggested it would be "100 times faster". The speedup is actually
better than that (looks sublinear) -- I just don't consider a factor of
100 on a silly algorithm to be a big difference. You still hit a running
time of (1/100)*forever pretty quickly.