On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 5:25 AM, Anne Schilling
<anne1.schill...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 5:09:43 PM UTC-4, William wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 5:16 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 5:04 AM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave
>> >
>> > I have.   These things can take a while.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just sat down with the executive director of University of
>> Washington's Internal Audit office and some of his staff.      They
>> have years of experience with ethics audits in practice, how the rules
>> are interpreted, and who is liable when problems arise.
>>
>> It will be possible to use the computers at UW to support Sage
>> development and other related open source projects and in support of
>> mathematical research.   There will be several official steps that
>> need to happen to formalize this, and the details aren't sorted out
>> yet.    But they will be.
>>
>> Things like sagenb, sagemathcloud, and the sage cell server are not
>> ok, since there is so little constraint on the actual users and usage.
>> However, things like trac, the wiki, hosting the sage downloads, etc.,
>> which directly benefit the Sage/math community, and benefit everybody
>> equally (since they are open source) are going to be encouraged, as
>> long as we take appropriate care in who gets accounts.   Moreover, the
>> 20 16-core computers (with lots of RAM and SSD's) that were used for
>> SageMathCloud will be repurposed for build/testing of Sage (and other
>> open source software) and for math research computations -- this is
>> actually quite a lot of hardware.
>>
>> So we can end the "state of emergency".  :-)
>

> This is great news! I am glad to hear that trac, the wiki etc will remain at
> a University!
>
> Do you know already what will happen to the combinat server? It would be
> great if that could remain in use for research related computations as well.

The combinat server will be fine --- I'm working on getting an
explicit statement signed by them that specifically allows for use of
all the computers in the cluster at UW (including combinat) for any
use for academic mathematical research and open source software.
Basically, the official default rules are embarrassingly restrictive
(due entirely to UW being a Washington state university), but these
rules can be superseded on a case by case basis by going through
appropriate channels.

In addition, I'm going to hire Andrew Ohana fulltime for at least a
month this summer specifically to complete refresh/revamp/upgrade how
all the computers are setup.    We'll be working on planning for this
during Sage Days in San Diego next week.    (Incidentally, he's also
going to be working on laying foundations for Sage to support Python3
this summer.)

William

--
William (http://wstein.org)